We’ve received a lot of questions on how to deal with obligatory eating. Our original post covered it to some extent.
There is a lot of social pressure to eat, and we thought it might help if we approached it a bit differently this time.
So, here is a list of reasons that you are worth saying no to eating due to obligation.
1. You’re awesome. You aren’t obligated. Awesomeness has nothing to do with obligation. Confusing the two is simply ridiculous. Be awesome.
2. It’s not going to feed your body or your soul. The term soul food is a misnomer. It should actually be called, “souls don’t need food” food.
3. You know better. Not to shake our finger but, when you know better, you do better. Go ahead, try and unknow what you know about those loaded potato skins and hot wings. It’s not going to happen.
4. You feel amazing. If you feel amazing and you know how eating nutrient dense food just increases that feeling, why in the world would you eat something other than that just because someone guilts you into it?!
5. It’s just food. So, someone bought appetizers and drinks. There you are, feeling obligated (did we mention you are awesome and these two things are not related), and they say something about all the food they bought… Here is the truth of it. They bought food. There is nothing else to it. Anything else is added meaning. If you feel guilty, that’s on you. Say “no thank you” and let it be. It doesn’t mean a thing that you refuse. You’re not rejecting them, their networking, social or romantic advances. You are just saying no to the food that you don’t eat. Get over the rest. It’s not you. It’s food.
So, in recap…
You are awesome. It’s not going to feed your body or soul. You know better. You feel amazing and it’s just food.
Now, go out and be confident in saying “no thank you.”